The holidays have creeped up on us, and now, we're only a few days away from the big day. Some users on Twitter couldn't believe December 25th is so soon, because the spirit of the holidays isn't as strong as it usually is.
The snow might/might not be falling in your area, maybe you're still trying to figure out some last minute Christmas gifts (like me), or you feel like we are in a simulation and nothing is real. Here are some things you can do to get into the holiday spirit!
Grab your friends and family (or just yourself), some popcorn and snacks, candles, and a blanket, and watch some entertaining Christmas movies. My family always watch The Sound of Music (fun fact: it is not an actual Christmas movie), and The Polar Express on Christmas Eve .
- It's a Wonderful Life (1946), Directed by Frank Capra, is one of the worlds most beloved Christmas movies
- Favorites: The Nightmare Before Christmas, How the Grinch Stole Christmas, Die Hard, Home Alone franchise, Elf, A Christmas Story: A Musical
- International Best: The Tower ( Korea, Directed by Kim Ji-hoon ), Klaus ( Spain, Directed by Sergio Pablos ), Tokyo Godfathers ( Japan, Directed by Satoshi Kon ), Mon Oncle Antoine ( French-Quebec, Directed by Claude Jutra )
Holiday Traditions stem from different religions and cultures, and are beautifully celebrated, sometimes months before December. Some honorable mentions for traditions include Diwali, the Venice Carnival, St. Nicholas Day, Simbang Gali, Las Posadas, and Hanukkah)
- Caroling, decorating the tree and your home, making Christmas cards, volunteering
- My family tradition is that we attend church and celebrate the birth of Jesus, drive around light displays in the neighborhood, bake, and watch movies
- As a performer, I also love to act in holiday plays and cabarets, usually local, church, or virtually. Be on the look out for Holiday movies and TV shows being filmed near you!
- Try a painting, making an ornament, or playing a Christmas song on an instrument (I'm learning how to play Joy to the World on my piano)
Music is a great way to boost everyone's mood, and get our bodies moving. There are many radio stations, music apps, and playlists available on various websites that play the best Holiday music. Listen while you bake, work, decorate, etc.
- All I Want for Christmas Is You ( Mariah Carey, highest charting holiday song )
- Believe ( Josh Groban )
- It's the Most Wonderful Time of the Year ( Andy Williams )
- Last Christmas ( Wham, my personal favorite )
- Santa Tell Me ( Ariana Grande )
- Feliz Navidad ( Jose Feliciano )
Head to your favorite café and try some holiday treats, or make them at home.
- Baking cookies, cake, gingerbread cookies
- Candy Canes, Peppermint Bark, and Chocolate (Lindor is amazing)
- Hot Chocolate , Tea, Coffee
- Chin Chin and Meat Pie is a popular dish my family eats, from Nigeria
Around the world, there are many locations you can visit to celebrate the holiday season with your friends and family. Here are some featured locations in Alberta, Canada.
- Zoo Lights, a spectacular lighting display in Calgary, Alberta, Canada
- Heritage Park Christmas Lights Festival in Calgary, Alberta, Canada
- The Lake Louise Ski Resort in Alberta, Canada
- Christmas Markets are also fun locations to visit and view local art galleries, live music, food, and other entertainment!
Also, visiting Santa Claus at the mall, giving gifts, donating food, clothes, and other necessities to charity, or around your community. Have a safe and happy Holidays!
Honorary Reporter, Ziga Poromon, #WeAreHere, Asia Lab.